Wednesday, December 17, 2008

cubicle woes

Life in cubicles is hard enough, I mean they're small and you don't have any privacy, and those foam walls don't help at all with noise control. But everyone knows that cubicles are small and they try to make things more comfortable for everyone by staying within their cube limits. In our office we have "mods" which are like two cubicles that are shared. I have two walls, and I use the term walls loosely, and then a filing cabinet to separate my cube from my mod mates cube. There is a small walkway between our cubes, but no one uses it. We all use the larger walk way that is between the two mods. In the little walk way is an alcove for trash and recycle cans and the mail bins and stuff like that. Well my new "mod mate" feels the need to walk through the tiny walk way rather than he large one. So he has to walk through my cube to get to the outside hallway. He could easily walk on the larger walkway to get to the hallway...actually this would probably be easier for him, but he insists on walking through my cube. This drives me crazy. So I put some boxes there, I told him I would be taking them home to pack with, but I never did. They have been a great barrier to keep him in his own cube. But now he has started asking about how long the boxes will stay (since I've already moved) and the safety committee is concerned about the boxes being in the walkway. So I have to move them. I know once I move them he'll start walking through my cube again. I don't know what else to do, I already tried leaving all the drawers open on that side of my desk to impede his path but he just squeezed around them. WTF, why must he walk through my cube, why must he invade my personal space.
Any suggestions?

No comments: