Thursday, December 4, 2008

Craigslist conundrum

I love craigslist, I have found some amazing deals there and have sold a lot of things that I would have otherwise thrown away. I think it is a great site that has the potential to help a lot of people, but that said...I think craigslist has made people really greedy.
I am currently looking for a computer desk, nothing fancy just a wooden desk to put a computer on and maybe a drawer for some of my junk. So I thought craigslist would be a wonderful place to look. I went to craigslist and searched my area for computer desks up to $250. I thought that by putting a reasonable price in there of $250 that I would get a good mix of nice stuff and some cheap stuff too and be able to find the perfect desk.
Well to my surprise there were tons and tons of desks, but as I started sorting through them I was appalled. People were selling the ugliest shit and calling it "mid-century".....mid century is just old, it's not antique so stop trying to pass it off as such. Then you have the Ikea specials, yeah I love Ikea, but if you only paid $200 for it new at Ikea, and you used the holy hell out of it....it is not worth $175, not even $150. I mean if you aren't making it at least half priced, then why wouldn't I just drive to Ikea and get a new one.
Alas I am met with the beat up shit, that's right, stuff that has been "used" or my personal favorite "well loved"...why don't you just say "we beat the shit out of this desk, it served it's purpose for us and now I'm trying to make a buck off of it." At least be honest. Don't try to sell the desk your kid colored on with a sharpie for $200, cause it ain't worth it.
And don't even get me started on the couches....yuck!

Maybe I've outgrown craigslist...or as I lovingly call it CL. Am I too old for it, or too snobby for it? Who knows. But please people, if your selling crap, price it cheap cause if you don't want it anymore there is a high probability that no one else wants it either.

1 comment:

Nick and Crystal's Family Blog! said...

LOL! I have thought the same about CL...you can also go onto wacco-bb, it is a Yahoo Group for announcements, sales and wants.