Monday, October 19, 2009

Blog Challenge week 3

What is a specific moment/event that made you realize you were truly "a grown-up"?

For me there were a few different moments/events that made me feel like I was truly a grown up, but the first was probably buying our first home. Buying a house has a way of really making you feel like you've hit a milestone. Sitting there signing the papers was an intense feeling, like there was no going back from here...I had to be a responsible adult from her on out. I could no longer blow my paycheck on shopping...I had responsibities.

The second one was when I got rid of the last of our hand me down furniture, it was a computer desk that Dan had gotten from a friends mom, it was nice but it wasn't ever really mine. Once it was gone and I realized that we had bought everything ourselves, shopped, picked it out and purchased it I felt like we were really grown ups. Grown ups in a home full of our own furniture.

Of course having Natalie really made me feel like I was a grown up. When you're a kid you think of parents as grown ups, I still think of my parents and their friends as "adults" while we're still kids. But once I had Natalie, my role had to change. I was one of them, obligated to bring things to holiday dinners rather than just show up with beer. And now with mentions of us hosting a holiday at our house...it makes that all the more real.

I miss the days of being a kid, the freedom that we had even if we thought it was awful that we couldn't do all the things adults did. Life was so carefree and easy.

No comments: