Friday, January 16, 2009

I fear I'm starting to be one of those out of touch parents

I knew that parenthood would change me, and I was prepared for that...what I was not prepared for was how out of touch with reality I would feel.

I have seen two movie in the theaters since Natalie was born...actually since I got pregnant with her, granted I wasn't a big movie goer before her but we went a few times a year.

When I got pregnant I couldn't fathom the idea of sitting more than 1o feet from a bathroom for over an hour, then once she was born I felt guilty if I took her to grandma's so I could see a movie. So, once in the last almost 9 months have Dan and I gone out to a movie. We went out to dinner and saw Dark Night. It was fun....but that was like about 6 months ago. Now with it being Oscar season, there are tons of great movies out and I won't be seeing any of them.

So this got me to thinking, am I becoming one of those moms who has nothing to talk about outside from her kid. Will it be 10 or more years before I start seeing movies on a regular basis again. My mom used to joke that she didn't see any movies in the 80's because she had kids, I thought "oh sure mom, you are totally exaggerating, I'm sure you just don't remember"...but now I fear that she wasn't exaggerating....I'll be lucky if I see one movie a year for the next 10+ years.

If I can't find time to see a movie, than there is no possible way I can find time to read a book...geeze that would entail taking 15 minutes of time for just me...no one else...just me, and honestly the only time I'm alone all day is during my 15 commute to work...and I think the CHP frowns upon people reading books while driving.

So there it is, I'm going to relegated to talking only about my kid, I'm going to become a completely pop-culture ignorant mom....I won't be able to keep up on fashion, cause...well if it doesn't include jeans and drool spotted tops...it isn't in my wardrobe. And I can't keep up with reading, cause they don't stock the pediatricians waiting room with fine literary works other than Dr. Seuss, and I can't talk TV cause...well okay I can talk about TV, but not in a timely manner cause I watch shows like a week after they air on Sundays during Natalie's nap.

My fear has become a reality, I'm no longer any one's witty fun girlfriend who can sip wine and chat about current events of pop culture....I'm a mom.

And, actually it's wonderful....really truly wonderful.

2 comments:

Nick and Crystal's Family Blog! said...

Being a mommy is wonderful...but I can totally relate!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget about the Sebastopol theater they have a cry room!!! We should go together LOL :O)