Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Our first trip to the ER.....

As we were wrapping up Natalie's birthday weekend extravaganza and she was playing happily with her new toys (aka the boxes the toys came in) my mom was blabbing on and on about how we need to corral off the fire place and how she's going to hurt herself on the fireplace etc etc. I told my mother that I doubted that she'd hurt herself on the one brick high hearth and that I'd worry about that when she started walking. So we're playing and not 30 seconds later *bam* Natalie face plants into the fireplace....she had apparently gotten her leg caught in the box she was sitting in....I scoop her up and realize she's bleeding. I take her to the sink to get her cleaned up and reveal a half inch long cut on her forehead. Now a half an inch seems really small but on a kid who's forehead span is only about 4 or 5 inches total...that's a pretty big cut.
So after much deliberation we decided to take her to the ER...by this time she was fine, playing happily again as long as we didn't try to ice her head.
So off to the ER we go...at about 9:15 on Sunday evening....yeah a weekend night in the ER....you can only imagine the type of people who were there.
But luckily for us, the urgent care was still open, so they sent us up there and we were seen by a great nurse and then a great doctor in no time and had a plan...they would glue the cut closed. This is supposedly better for scaring and we don't have to take her back to get any stitches out.
So the nice Dr tells me that I'll need to hold her down while the nurse pulls the cut closed and he will apply the glue. Okay, no problem I think I can handle holding my 19 lb kid down......I think.
It literally took all three of us holding her down, me laying across her body and the nurse keeping her head still in some sort of half nelson type move.....but after much screaming and protesting from Natalie we were done....
I picked her up from the table, and of course she wanted my mom...who was smart and didn't hold her down...since I was now the enemy. And no sooner does she get into my mom's arms than she's waving and smiling at the nurse and doctor....I was still getting dirty looks.
All in all we were there for less than an hour...not to bad for our first trip to the ER. I have a feeling I'll be back at the ER with this kid...she's pretty spunky.

No comments: