Thursday, November 12, 2009

It's a girl!

We were finally able to find out what baby #2 is on Tuesday....but considering she's my kid it wasn't without some drama.

Monday the 9th was our big ultrasound with Kaiser, Dan and I got up early and took Natalie to daycare and then went on to the new office building where they have all the new equipment for ultrasounds. We were very excited to find out if we'd be adding a sister or brother to our family. We checked in and sat down to wait to be called...considering we were a bit early I thought we'd get called in right away. Well about 20 minutes later and having read every magazine in the waiting room while eavesdropping on the receptionists conversation we were finally called in. I'd heard from the receptionists that the second ultrasound tech had called in sick that day and they were trying to reschedule all of the appointments. I was relieved as I'd have been pissed to get that call earlier in the morning...or so I thought.

Our tech came to get us and we proceeded into the brand new huge ultrasound room, a far cry from the broom closet our ultrasound was in with Natalie. Our tech was pleasant but clearly flustered...but I figured once we got into things she'd warm up...wrong again.

She flew through our ultrasound, barely stopping to point out what she was measuring.

At the end she was looking for gender and was obviously having a hard time, so he stopped and calculated my due date and all that, turns out baby is measuring a little ahead but only by about 3-4 days....so my due date remains the same. She then say in an exasperated tone, I'll try to check for gender one more time. So she swipes the wand over my belly a couple more times and says "nope baby has it's feet in the way...sorry I can't tell you"

At which point I start to cry (damn pregnancy hormones) Dan starts asking if maybe we can try again, or maybe come back a little later in the morning. "Nope I'm booked all day, my partner called in sick...sorry"

Now the waterworks really start, like full on sobbing in the ultrasound room, which you'd think would tug at the heartstrings of this tech but nope, she was stone cold. As we were pushed out of the room with 2 pictures (we got about 10 with Natalie) I continued to sob. It literally took me like 3 hours to get it together.

So I told Dan we were going to the place where you pay and I didn't care how much it cost...he was smart enough to respond with "sounds good, whatever you want".

So on Tuesday, we went to prenatal peek for a gender peek ultrasound...and quick as can be the baby showed the goods. We're having another girl...which considering I had to drop $75 on the ultrasound ( a great deal in my opinion) is a good thing since I don't have to buy any new clothes for this baby....and we'll get more use out of Natalie's wardrobe.

Of course that's clearly a lie, I will be buying this kid clothing too, but likely in the form of matching outfits with Natalie.

Now let the name fights discussions begin.

2 comments:

SmartAssMom said...

Congrats, again! Now that you've told the whole story, it's really not that funny. I'm not sure why I thought it was funny at the time. I'm mean.

$75 is a great deal!

Kelly said...

No, looking back it is funny...I can just see myself sobbing in the ultrasound room..pretty pathetic.